14 August 2008

Birthday- CARS




(As part of a card exchange for children's birthday cards)
I knew from all the little boys I interact with that CARS were a hot item at the time. I wanted a very rugged, masculine look and I preferred the idea of a red car. Other than that, I was clueless so I did MANY prototypes, as you can clearly see. On the outside, all of them say "wishing you..." and on the inside, "A very happy birthday!" Some of them also have car clip art inside.

The black stripes and road were made by running the black ink pad over white cardstock several times. I tell myself it looks like automobile grease!

Of course, I inked just about every possible edge with black to contribute to the junky look.

Most of the cars were Microsoft clip art items downloaded for free from their website. However, the bottom two on the right side were created with stencils and ink pads. I rubbed the ink on to cotton balls, which I then ran across the card stock several times until it was dark enough. My friends flattered me by saying it gave the images an airbrushed look. HA!

If you look VERY closely, you can see that I typed VROOM and ZOOM in red on to red paper so that the backgrounds of many of the cards would not be so plain. I think the fonts were Rub This! and Problem Secretary, which I downloaded for free (YEA!) from the internet.

Other supplies included ribbon, staples (of course), glue and gold, red, and plain white printer paper.

Incidentally, the card I chose for the exchange was the red car on the road. I'm not sure it's my favorite, but it was definitely the most work!

0 comments: